Sunday, June 23, 2019

Second man charged with murder in Sound-Bar nightclub shooting

Jon Poole is the second man to be charged with murder in the Sound-Bar shooting case. | CPD; File
A second man is now charged with murder in connection with the March 8th shooting death of a doorman and injury of a co-owner at Sound-Bar nightclub, 226 West Ontario.

Jon Poole, 34, was arrested Thursday in Lawrenceville, Georgia, on a warrant signed March 22nd by Cook County Judge Laura Sullivan. Poole will make an initial court appearance Monday to face four murder counts.

Police offered few details about Poole’s involvement except to say he was identified by witnesses and was seen on surveillance video participating in a confrontation that led to the fatal shooting of 28-year-old doorman Thurmond Bailey in the 600 block of North Franklin. Sound-Bar co-owner Mark Jurcyzk was struck by bullet fragments during the incident.

Prosecutors said club workers turned away a group of men shortly after midnight, sparking a confrontation that escalated when 37-year-old Armond Williams punched Bailey in the face and Bailey pull out a gun. Williams then allegedly pulled out his own gun, fired four rounds, then handed the weapon to another man who fired nine more shots.

Williams is charged with murder and attempted murder. The second man has not yet been publicly identified.

Court records show that Pool was charged in 2010 with four counts of Class X aggravated kidnapping-inflicting harm; four counts of Class X aggravated kidnapping while armed; five counts of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, and four counts of aggravated battery with a weapon in connection with an incident that started at a Humboldt Park car wash.

He pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm and the state dropped all of the other charges in a plea deal approved by Judge Mary Brosnahan who sentenced him to two years probation, records show.

In 2016, Poole was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and manufacture-delivery of cannabis. Judge Thaddeus Wilson found him not guilty of the gun charge and guilty of the cannabis charge in a bench trial. Poole was again sentenced to two years probation.

See our previous coverage of the Sound-Bar shooting here.
Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube