Sunday, July 30, 2017

Parolee Charged With Having Assault Rifle At Belmont Red Line Station

A 29-year-old West Side man, on parole for robbery, has been charged with having a loaded AK-47 assault rifle at the Belmont Red Line station yesterday morning.

CWBChicago was first to report the details of Saturday’s arrest.

Jordan Watkins was arrested around 6:30 a.m. after a witness reported seeing a man with a large gun on the southbound platform. Arriving officers found Watkins with the Kalashnikov strapped around his neck, a police source said.
An AK-47 | Wikicommons

He is charged with one felony count of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and one felony count of being an armed habitual criminal.

According to a police source, Watkins was recently shot, and detectives want to interview him about his possible involvement in a Humboldt Park shooting this week.

You can support CWB's newsgathering efforts with a donation to our Tip Jar.

State records show that he was sentenced to six years in prison for armed robbery and one year for narcotics in 2013. He has been free on parole since last August.

Before that, he was sentenced to 2-1/2 years for narcotics in 2008 and three years for possession of a stolen motor vehicle in 2007.

Watkins, of the Austin neighborhood, is due in court this afternoon.
Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube


  1. I'm just glad no one was injured . Not the typical "man w/ a gun" call for the Police. I bet even they were surprised to encounter a rifle like that. If he did indeed have loaded 30 rounder in there, that was a potential huge disaster thank goodness he didn't fire the damn thing. That guy had to be soft in the head ,taking a weapon like that into public trans infrastructure.

  2. Were there no attendants at the Belmont stop? You'd think they might look up from their phones and maybe notice a gun that big on the way in.

    Maybe. (WTF?!)

  3. Illinois can you not see his plea to be locked up for good. What does he have to do kill a bunch of people before you lock him up for 30 years