Sunday, July 23, 2017

AWOL: Nearly 10% Of Accused Violent Offenders Skipped Bail (Here Are A Few)

A CWBChicago investigation has found that nearly 10% of the people facing violent crime or serious weapons charges in our area have gone missing after being released on bail.

When a judge sets a cash or deposit bond for a defendant, Illinois requires that 10% of the bond amount be put down to secure the person's freedom to await trial. If the accused goes missing, the person who put up the bail money risks being held responsible for the remaining 90%.

Many states allow professional bondsmen to put up money for accused individuals. If someone goes missing, the responsible bondsman can then hire a bounty hunter to track the offender down. Bondsmen and bounty hunting are illegal in Illinois.

Of the missing individuals in our study, one man was released on a recognizance bond. Another had bail posted by a community group that bails out accused criminals who “have been impacted by structural violence.” Others had relatively low bonds set for violent crimes.

With Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans ordering judges to lower bail amounts to something defendants can afford, we expect to see many more people going AWOL very soon.

For our report, CWBChicago reviewed the statuses of 55 pending cases involving violent or serious weapons-related crimes in our area. We included murder, criminal sexual assault, robbery, home invasion, and felony weapons cases in our research.

Here are the men who’ve gone missing, a look at how they got out of jail, and what they are accused of doing to get put behind bars in the first place. Information is current as of 3 p.m. on July 20, 2017, according to records in the Office of the Cook County Court Clerk.

Manning
Kenneth Manning, 20
Charges: Robbery

Allegation: A 25-year-old man told police that he was walking in Boystown when Manning and another man pushed him into an alley and robbed him around 3 a.m. on May 17, prosecutors said. Manning gave the Howard Brown Health Center in Uptown as his home address.

Bail: The Chicago Community Bond Fund posted 10% of Manning’s $50,000 bond.

Status: AWOL since missing a court date on July 17. An acquaintance of Manning’s told CWBChicago that he has “disappeared.”


Brewer
Cornelius Brewer, 21
Charges: Aggravated robbery; theft of lost or mislaid property; battery; possession of cannabis

Allegation: Brewer and another man are accused of pushing a Lakeview landscaper to the ground, indicating that they had firearms, and stealing the man’s leaf blower from his equipment trailer on May 6, 2016.

Bail: Released on a $10,000 recognizance bond

Status: In the wind since missing court on August 18, 2016


Davis
Marcus D. Davis, 31
Charges: Felon in possession of a weapon, narcotics

Allegation: Police said they found Davis in possession of a firearm and drugs during a traffic stop in the 4300 block of North Broadway on January 5, 2017.

Bail: Davis’s aunt posted $1,000 of his $10,000 bond on February 1.

Status: Hasn’t been seen since missing a court date on June 7.


Benitez-Sanchez
Jose Benitez-Sanchez, 43
Charge: Home invasion, aggravated unlawful restraint

Allegation: Prosecutors say he covered his face with a black plastic bag and entered an Uptown woman’s home with an “extremely large knife” by cutting through a screen on August 24, 2016.

Bail: A family friend posted $25,000 of his $250,000 bond.

Status: Benitez-Sanchez has been missing since skipping court on June 15, 2017.


Lloyd
Donzell Lloyd, 20
Charges: Aggravated robbery (two counts), robbery

Allegation: Lloyd and two other men are accused of robbing two Lakeview women in separate muggings on December 3, 2016.

Bail: Lloyd’s mother posted $6,000 of his $60,000 bond.

Status: In mid-May, Lloyd went to Dayton, OH, where he and an accomplice allegedly shot a man three times during a robbery. He is in custody there.
----------
Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube

14 comments:

  1. Fuck!!!!! I had forgotten all about how my corneas were burned out by the fugly mug-puss shots of Manning and Brewer. Now I'm going to have nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are these people going to lose the money they put up for bond? Is there a time limit after skipping bail, after which the bond is forfeited? I'm sure the scum in the cases above could care less if some community organization loses out, but I'd think that even these guys might care if a family member lost out on thousands of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that the real question is,

    Who funds The Chicago Community Bond Fund?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.chicagobond.org/#advisory-board

      Delete
  4. "The Chicago Community Bond Fund posted 10% of Manning’s $50,000 bond."

    I'm not sure I fully understand how bond works in Illinois. If CCBF posted 10% of an accused bond, who puts up the other 90%? A Bail Bondsman? And what recourse do they have if the accused skips bail? Nothing? Why in the world would they evver lend the money?

    ReplyDelete
  5. All fine Dem constituents. Just so the suckers in Lakeview/Wrigleyville/Boystown know, the politicians give more of a s*** about this crew than you, the taxpayer and worker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These aren't felons, comrades, these are social justice warriors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is Chicago Community Bond Fund?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to know the last asswipe is accised of shooting someone in Ohio after getting out on bond here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would anybody accept a 10% fail rate in anything. Seriously.
    Who puts up with this shit?
    Oh...right...Chicago...the city that 'works'...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reeks of one of Tunney's initiatives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RE Mr Davis:
    Dear Auntie.....open your eyes. LOOK at your nephew. Look! How on earth do you figure he's worth risking $1,000 of your dollars???
    Tell you what. Give me the $$. I'll keep it for a while, so you can tell Marcus you ain't go no money. Then I'll give you $500 back. And you'll be $500 ahead every time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is CCBF's 2015 Form 990. Very little information to glean. Looks like they only posted 2 bonds in 2014.

    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2015/475/015/2015-475015710-0c9f690b-Z.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, and Pawer is running way to the left on crime to try and get elected. Screaming about no cash bond and no jail time for "low level" offenders. WAKE UP, the scum is picking us apart piece by "low level" piece.

    ReplyDelete