|Actual criminal may vary.|
The arrests come after several residents found themselves face-to-face with burglars in their homes.
Police arrested one suspect in the 1700 block of West Melrose at 10:50 last night, moments after a nearby apartment burglary.
The Melrose burglary victim was able to identify a computer in the man’s bag as their property.
Police drove another victim to the arrest scene and she, too, identified property in the man’s bags. Her apartment in the 3600 block of North Janssen had been burglarized earlier in the evening.
On Janssen, the burglar “pulled a big commercial dumpster from the alley up to the side of the building, stood on top and accessed a first-floor window to break in,” a neighbor told us early today.
The suspect and evidence are being processed as we post this report.
Also Monday, police arrested another burglar in the 800 block of West Aldine in Boystown just before 8 p.m.
In that case, a woman called 911 after seeing a man on her fire escape. The man tried to enter an apartment in her building moments later. Officers are hoping to secure felony charges for the attempted break-in.
Detectives will be working to connect the two suspects with other area burglaries, including one in the 1100 block of West Grace yesterday.
Hello, StrangerAt least a half-dozen Lakeview residents have come eye-to-eye with home intruders over the past two weeks.
• At 7:40 p.m. yesterday, two women called police after an unknown man climbed through their apartment window in the 1100 block of West George.
• A man walked in on a burglar who escaped by threatening to shoot the victim before punching him and sprinting out a rear door in the 3600 block of North Wayne last Wednesday. Police had yet to decide if the incident will be recorded as a home invasion when we last checked on the case. (UPDATE SEPTEMBER 22: The incident has been classified as a robbery.)
• Last Tuesday, a woman reported that a man kicked her back door in around 11 a.m. in the 3900 block of North Southport. She says the burglar was a tall black man with cornrows who was wearing a white tank top and a blue hoodie around his waist.
• In the 1400 block of West Wolfram, a burglar used patio furniture to enter an apartment’s side window on Sunday. He “ransacked the apartment, apparently looking for cash or credit cards,” according to a post in the popular and influential Taking Back Lakeview Neighbors group on Facebook.
• Another member of the Facebook group reported that their home was burglarized while they slept this weekend in the 3700 block of North Lakewood. “They entered through the main level window….Thank god we were not hurt. They took a laptop and a camera bag. Be careful and use your alarm,” the homeowner wrote.
The ListOther burglaries that have been confirmed recently by our 19th district officers include:
|Date of Report||Block||Type of Burglary||Location|
|August 21, 2016||3700 N PINE GROVE AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|August 23, 2016||1300 W MELROSE ST||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|August 24, 2016||1100 W WRIGHTWOOD AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|August 24, 2016||800 W CUYLER AVE||FORCIBLE ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|August 24, 2016||4100 N CLARENDON AVE||HOME INVASION||APARTMENT|
|August 25, 2016||900 W BUENA AVE||FORCIBLE ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|August 26, 2016||1700 W HENDERSON ST||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|August 26, 2016||3100 N SHEFFIELD AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||DAY CARE CENTER|
|August 27, 2016||900 W BELMONT AVE||FORCIBLE ENTRY||CONVENIENCE STORE|
|August 27, 2016||3700 N FREMONT ST||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|August 27, 2016||2200 W OAKDALE AVE||HOME INVASION||RESIDENCE|
|August 27, 2016||1100 W WOLFRAM ST||FORCIBLE ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|August 28, 2016||3900 N FREMONT ST||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|August 29, 2016||1000 W BELMONT AVE||ATTEMPT FORCIBLE ENTRY||BUSINESS OFFICE|
|August 29, 2016||1000 W NEWPORT AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|August 29, 2016||800 W LILL AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|August 29, 2016||700 W BELMONT AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||CHURCH|
|August 30, 2016||4500 N DAMEN AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|August 30, 2016||3300 N LAKE SHORE DR||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|August 30, 2016||1200 W FULLERTON AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||OTHER|
|August 31, 2016||3600 N DAMEN AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|September 1, 2016||1400 W BYRON ST||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|September 2, 2016||800 W CUYLER AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|September 3, 2016||4700 N ROCKWELL ST||FORCIBLE ENTRY||OTHER|
|September 3, 2016||3700 N LAKEWOOD AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|September 3, 2016||900 W CORNELIA AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|September 4, 2016||3600 N SHEFFIELD AVE||FORCIBLE ENTRY||RESTAURANT|
|September 6, 2016||2600 N HERMITAGE AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|September 6, 2016||3700 N CLARK ST||FORCIBLE ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|September 6, 2016||1300 W MELROSE ST||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|September 6, 2016||4300 N WOLCOTT AVE||FORCIBLE ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|September 6, 2016||900 W OAKDALE AVE||FORCIBLE ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|September 7, 2016||3300 N OAKLEY AVE||FORCIBLE ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|September 7, 2016||800 W LILL AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|September 8, 2016||2600 N LAKEWOOD AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|September 8, 2016||1200 W DRAPER ST||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|September 9, 2016||2200 W MELROSE ST||FORCIBLE ENTRY||APARTMENT|
|September 9, 2016||1400 W HENDERSON ST||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|September 10, 2016||1900 W NEWPORT AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|September 10, 2016||3300 N SEMINARY AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|September 10, 2016||1200 W NEWPORT AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE-GARAGE|
|September 10, 2016||3100 N SOUTHPORT AVE||FORCIBLE ENTRY||CONSTRUCTION SITE|
|September 11, 2016||400 W BELMONT AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|September 11, 2016||3300 N CLIFTON AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
|September 11, 2016||1800 W LARCHMONT AVE||UNLAWFUL ENTRY||RESIDENCE|
"Forcible entry" means the offenders forced their way in, typically by breaking through a door or window. "Unlawful Entry" means that no force was used--a door left unlocked or a window air conditioner pushed in, for example.