|Williams (Chicago Police Dept)|
Also charged with battery in the attack is 29-year-old William Brown, who is currently on parole for beating and robbing a man who was hailing a cab at Belmont and Shefield in 2013.
Despite receiving a 4-year sentence in that robbery, Brown was paroled in 2014 after serving barely a year in prison, according to court records.
|Brown (Chicago Police Dept)|
After being arrested in connection with the fire last April, Williams told police that he identifies as a female. This month, he stated that—despite being dressed as a woman at the time of his arrest—he is now a male.
As CWB Chicago reported in May, Williams has racked up a series of other arrests in our neighborhood.
According to court and police records, criminal charges filed against him in our neighborhood include:
• An April 2012 charge of aggravated unlawful use of a knife in the 800 block of Aldine, which ended with a sentence of 3 months probation and “destruction” of the knife.
• Shoplifting at the Boystown Jewel-Osco store in September 2012, which earned 1 year’s probation.
• Obstructing traffic outside of the Broadway Youth Center, 3179 N. Broadway, in September 2012.
• Criminal trespass at the Center on Halsted in February 2013. The charge was thrown out when the Center—per its policy —failed to show up in court.
• Battery at the Center on Halsted in September 2014. Again, the charge was thrown out when the Center failed to show up in court.
• Theft at the Forever Yogurt, 3510 N. Halsted, in September 2014
• Battery in the 3500 block of N. Halsted in August 2015. The charges were dropped when the witness did not appear in court.
Please support CWB's newsgathering efforts with a secure donation to our Tip Jar.