Monday, May 02, 2016

Lakeview Prowler Tells Cops He "Fell" Into Apartment After Seeing $20 Bill (And Other Burglary Updates)

Tactical officers responding to a suspicious person call arrived just in time to see a man peering into an apartment window in the 3100 block of N. Clifton Wednesday afternoon. The suspect fled, but cops eventually found him hiding in a nearby yard.
Davis (Cook Co. Sheriff's Office)

After telling cops that he saw a $20 bill inside a basement apartment and subsequently “fell into” the window, 31-year-old Joshua Davis was charged with attempted burglary and trespassing, according to court records.

Bail for Davis, who lists a church in the 600 block of W. Deming as his home, is set at $100,000.

Video Lesson

Here’s a good 30-second video to share with anyone who’s still not locking their car doors. It shows just how quickly a curious criminal can get in and out of a vehicle with any valuable contents. In this case, the thief got away with several high-end belts from a car parked in the 3800 block of N. Clark on Sunday morning.

Busted, Too

Canibano (Chicago Police Dept)
32-year-old Vincente Canibano of the 3700 block of N. Damen in North Center is charged with possessing burglary tools, theft of lost or mislaid property, and two counts of trespassing after police arrested him in the 1400 block of W. Addison on April 20.

Officers responding to reports of a suspicious person in the area saw Canibano hiding behind a garage and peeking into yards, court records say. Canibano “made direct eye contact with [officers] and fled” with a bicycle, backpack, and bottle of wine, according to the cops’ report. He was quickly apprehended.

Police said Canibano was unable to explain how he came to possess the bicycle and he “freely admitted” to having a pair of bolt cutters in his backpack.

They Can't All Be Winners

Police responded to a call of glass breaking in the 3900 block of N. Janssen around 5:50AM last Sunday. They said they didn’t find anything unusual.

But, when a resident woke up about an hour later, he discovered that his apartment had been burglarized while he slept—and he had evidence that officers came into his unit, too, but didn’t do anything.

Those cops were off-duty when the victim called 911. The next shift’s officers were...flummoxed.
Officer: “Was there a call here earlier?”
Dispatcher: “There was a criminal damage to property this morning. [The earlier unit closed the call out].”
Officer: “You’re joking, right?”
Dispatcher: “Nope. Not joking.”
Officer: “Have a supervisor come over here.”

The List

04/22/2016 11:45:00 AM1500 W NELSON STUNLAWFUL ENTRYGARAGE
04/22/2016 6:00:00 PM2400 W MONTROSE AVEFORCIBLE ENTRYVACANT LOT/LAND
04/22/2016 8:00:00 PM2100 W ADDISON STUNLAWFUL ENTRYGARAGE
04/23/2016 3:30:00 AM1400 W WELLINGTON AVEUNLAWFUL ENTRYRESIDENCE
04/24/2016 12:30:00 AM3900 N JANSSEN AVEUNLAWFUL ENTRYAPARTMENT
04/24/2016 1:30:00 PM2600 N MILDRED AVEUNLAWFUL ENTRYGARAGE
"Forcible entry" means that the offenders forced their way in, typically by breaking through a door or window. "Unlawful Entry" means that no force was used--a window left unlocked, for example.
----------
Email us. Facebook us. Twitter us.

23 comments:

1. "Lists a church as his home"...hysterical.

Maybe he can steal from HIS home instead.

ReplyDelete
  2. He was just listening to Slipped, Tripped and Fell In Love by Clarence Carter.

ReplyDelete
  3. Our parish is the one in question and in addition to a sack lunch program collects their mail so they use it as an "address". Unfortunately its just another of many misguided programs that attracts trouble to the greater area. Its maddening to see allegedly "homeless" folks line up smoking cigarettes, using iPhones, and some even have cars only to grab a free lunch and head out to pillage the neighborhood.

Replies
    1. Just last night I ran into my local 7-Eleven and saw a man who panhandles across the street at Walgreen's. He was using the money for cigarettes.

2. I have no problem with panhandlers using the money they get for whatever they want. I don't give to them regularly, but here and there. Once I give them money, it is theirs to use as they please. If I lived on the street and had to beg for money, some cigarettes or alcohol would be a nice bit of solace in an otherwise dreary life. I don't judge anyone else for buying cigs, and I don't look down on those less fortunate than myself, so why would I judge them?

3. A lot of them don't live on the street, and you can make a decent amount of money per hour begging. I had a friend who would sometimes "handle the pan" for beer money and could make 10 bucks in half an hour. He'd tell people he had lost his bus card and just needed one more dollar so he could get home from work.

One time he asked a guy for money and the guy said, "Man, I gave you money three days ago and then I saw you cross the street and go into the liquor store."

Many of the beggars in my neighborhood have Section 8 housing and Link cards. A lot of them choose this lifestyle because it allows them to continue their bad habits, e.g., drug and/or alcohol addiction.

4. "...so why would I judge them?"

Because many of them will hurt you.

5. "so why would I judge them?"

Because they suck the life out of vibrant, safe, successful neighborhoods and will turn on you on a dime when you least suspect it. The only way to stop panhandling by irresponsible bums is for everyone to stop contributing to their pastimes.

4. I called 911 Thursday night at 3AM because two people were in my lobby and trying to get into the rest of our building through a locked door. They ran away when I opened my condo door. I saw them headed down 1000 block of Grace street. The 911 operator told me that she would not disperse police because I was not in danger after the guys left. I argued that they would probably just try to break into another building but I got nowhere. Ah well, bad guys win again.

ReplyDelete
  5. "Fell into the window." My ass. Wouldn't surprise if he turned around and sued the city because he "fell into the window." And wouldn't surprise me if some lame-ass judge awarded him $5 million in damages. This city is blowing and sucking so hard, I'm losing my passion for anything Chicago.

ReplyDelete
  6. Cut backs everywhere. Offender/s gone? No police are dispatched. Use a broom and dust pan to clean up the damage. Church in the 600 block of Deming? Is that St. Clements right next to the old Ronald McDonalds House? Wow ! let's throw an extra dollar in the box every Sunday so we can give a free lunch to the "Homeless" who have cell phones, smokes and cars. And when we get home after Sunday Mass we can call 9-1-1 to report the burglary to out home/condo. And again 9-1-1 will ask if the person is still there. If not you will be instructed to call 3-1-1 to make a report over the phone. If you stay on the phone for 1 to 2 hours you may get someone to take that report. Thanks Rohm and all the alderpersons that voted for that $550 million + tax increase. Just look at how our services have gone up.

Replies
    1. I encourage all to stop attending these churches & stop donating money to them. I quit going to Broadway Methodist years ago because they also invite criminals to our neighborhood. I probably attended that church for almost 20 years. No more. They won't get one dime from me...not to mention all the people I invited there over the years.

2. But many will still give because it feels good and absolves them of their sins for the week. So I dated a guy that threw $2 in one of those bums buckets then hours later turns around and asks me for $2 for a CTA pass to get home. This after feeding his "starving artist" ass. So one day later we jumped off the Belmont stop and he said "This is why I couldn't live here, all these people here think they're 'entitled'". Well, I guess he was speaking of me too because I lived right down the block. I ended it right then and there on the open sidewalk in front of about 30 people.

7. Rahm is too busy with his Lucas Museum project to care.

ReplyDelete
  8. The guy on Clark st will be back checking for more unlocked cars. And whatever else he can get into.

ReplyDelete
  9. Tommy has put on his FB page a notice of COMMERCIAL burglaries, you know sort of folks who put campaign posters in their storefronts.

The rest of you peons don't matter.

ReplyDelete
  10. " I quit going to Broadway Methodist years ago because they also invite criminals to our neighborhood."

I realize that Christ also invited criminals, but He was able to handle them.

Replies
    1. Christ also got crucified for his trouble...just like the taxpayers in Lakeview.

2. "I realize that Christ also invited criminals, but He was able to handle them."

That's all fine & dandy.... Unfortunately, the criminals are violent and the average citizen is not equipped to "handle them." And even more unfortunate is that our decimated police force can't handle the increased criminal population in the area...and when they DO catch them, the idiot judges let them roam free to continue to victimize innocents.

No, we can't - and shouldn't be forced to - "handle them."

11. And now we have Rahm's publicity newspaper, the Sun-Times with

"Police warn of North Side business burglaries"

No mention of any of the other mayhem that goes on here.

ReplyDelete
  12. If you "fall" into my window, a bullet may "fall" out of my gun.

13. Hey CWB,sorry I am confused....the last segment in the story above entitled
    "They Can't All Be Winners" am i reading this wrong or are you reporting that the original responding officers in fact found the crime scene and entered it and still reported that they found nothing?! and there is proof of this occurring? Were the original officers reprimanded, disciplined or were they able to explain there actions or lack of action? If I read this correctly.....this seems like a big deal

Replies
    1. We can only put out there what we've reported above. The victim said he knew officers had been in his apartment and the dispatcher confirmed that officers had been dispatched for the damage to property. Needless to say, the officers who wound up doing the work of the overnight unit were not pleased. They surely shared their concerns.