Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Burglar Snared By Undercover Cops In Lincoln Park

A 22-year-old Woodlawn man is charged with burglary after an undercover Chicago police unit caught him leaving the scene of a Lincoln Park burglary, court records say.
Walker (Cook County Sheriff's Office)

Detectives working to reverse the area’s surging burglary rate say they saw James E. Walker ducking into gangways and alleys near Southport and Lill around 10AM on April 6.

Officers who stopped Walker for a field interview found property that they traced to a home in the 2600 block of N. Wayne, where a forcible-entry burglary had taken place, prosecutors said.

Walker was carrying a Dell laptop, a Samsung cellphone, Oontz wireless speakers, an iPod, and credit cards in another man’s name, cops say.

His bail is set at $100,000.

Court records show that Walker was previously arrested in the 1000 block of W. Irving Park around 5PM on March 4 after a homeowner found him poking around on his back porch.

ICYMI

A 20-year-old parolee is charged with the burglary of a Wicker Park home that was captured on crystal-clear surveillance video.

Antwoyn Carroll, also known as Andrew Moffett, is charged with burglary in connection with the break-in that was reported in the 1600 block of N. Bell on March 18.

Carroll was arrested last Sunday for trespassing in the 2200 block of W. Hirsch, police said. Investigators subsequently connected him to the burglary case, footage of which began spreading online one week earlier.

A surveillance image of the burglar (L) and Carroll
State records show that Carroll, a convicted drug dealer and auto thief, is on absconder status after being paroled in February 2015.

The burglary victim posted video of the break-in to Reddit after waiting nearly three weeks for police to send an evidence technician to collect fingerprints, footprints, and a copy of the burglary images.

Less than 48 hours later, the Chicago Police Department issued a statement that said detectives had picked up the video and were investigating the incident.

“The First Deputy Superintendent has also asked the Chief of Detectives and Chief of Patrol to look into whether this incident was dispatched properly and investigated in accordance with CPD standards and protocols,” the department said in a press release.
----------
Email us. Facebook us. Twitter us.

15 comments:

  1. Its a good start. Two career burglars off the streets. Each of these guys represents hundreds of crimes. Lets hope the ACLU doesn't free the first one for "field interviewing" the first criminal. The over/under on when Crook country criminal justice spits them out for probation? 6 months comes to mind, and Ill take the under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing about these wins... restores my faith in our city. Undercover cops combing the streets and alleys at night is exactly what we need. I will gladly pay out of pocket to hire additional private personnel to monitor the blocks around my home.

    A string of these wins will send a clear message to the bad guys, that they are the ones that are no longer safe. And we are watching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pay out of pocket? You mean pay more out of pocket for what we don't get? Have you glanced at your tax bill? $550 Million plus for what? Less Police, less Detectives and less city services. Where is all this money we are paying in taxes going? Hum . . . To the south and west side for additional police services.

      Delete
    2. Yes, for sure! But we need A LOT more people knowing about the crime and actively reporting the crime...and then showing up in court.

      Delete
  3. Good job CPD! I hope this arrest is an example of police work that is proactive and that our force is no longer "going fetal". Our CPD deserves leadership that has their backs if the Cops are doing their jobs. "Going Fetal" has resulted in fewer stops and a less proactive force. Hopefully, with new leadership we'll see proactive crime fighting now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you CPD, for continuing to do the hardest job out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now if we can only get the career criminals in city hall off the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the pro CPD posts are great, 3 weeks to get to a taxpayers home to sweep for evidence? Taxpayers are getting shafted left and right by the city. Taxpayers are basically using social media to solve their own crimes. Only after the negative backlash does CPD rush to the scene and solve a fairly easy case. I feel sorry for the victim to have to go through that.
    Don't worry though, Antwoyn Andrew Moffett Carroll will get six months and be back at it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "off the streets" - for how long ? A month ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone attend this meeting & know what their specific plans are? I was stunned when I read about it beforehand that no mention was made about the vital need for more police = that they wanted to focus on what *they* could do. Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't understand the total omission of the police situation.

    Lakeview residents organize to combat rising crime

    http://abc7chicago.com/news/lakeview-residents-organize-to-combat-rising-crime/1312620/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the three sex shop thieves got probation today in the tribune. Way to go judges. Glad you are doing your jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Antwoyn Carroll was actually on EM after being arrested for possession of a motor vehicle. If these criminals committed their crimes in Beverly, I wonder if Dart would be so quick to release them on EM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad sad sad. There guys are travelong across the city, easily, so not having transportation access is not the reason they are not working an honest job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't start high-fiving yet. Chances are these perps will be back on the street within a few months

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't start high-fiving yet. Chances are these perps will be back on the street within a few months

    ReplyDelete