CWB Chicago first reported on the thefts this weekend.
On Saturday, two young men who handed out fliers for a "basketball team" stole phones and other property from a Cuban restaurant and two salons in southeast Lake View.
Then, a crew using the same ruse struck on Monday in the 2000 block of W. Belmont. A mortgage office and a spa were hit there.
According to NBC reporter Trina Orlando, the crew also hit at Home Tavern in the 2800 block of N. Lincoln. And one customer that Orlando interviewed there is none too pleased.
Saturday's victims offered the following offender descriptions:
- Male, black, early 20's 5'7" tall, 150 pounds, tattoo on his neck, twists in his hair. Wearing a shiny jacket.
- Male, black, 5'9" tall, 160 pounds. He has a deformed lip and wore a red top.
- Male, black, 17- to 22-years-old, heavyset, full head of hair (possibly braids), wearing a red t-shirt, baggy jeans with holes in the knees, and white gym shoes.
- Male, black, 17- to 22-years-old, thinner, gray hoodie, black pants, baseball cap that appears to have a Chicago Bulls logo.
- Male, black, 17- to 22-years-old, wearing a white and gray hoodie, red pants, and carrying a black bag over his shoulder