|Flowers were placed near the crime scene earlier this week.|
Kristopher Pitts, 22, is charged with murder and armed robbery in the case
• At the time of the murder, Pitts was awaiting trial for allegedly threatening a police officer with a machete.
• In court records, police say they found O’Malley’s cell phone in Pitts’ possession, clarifying some reports that the robbery attempt had failed.
• The 19th district CAPS office released information stating that “a witness attempted to gain control of the weapon” before O’Malley was shot. There is no mention of a struggle in court records.
• At least six witnesses have been identified in the case.
• O’Malley, previously of suburban Palos Park, was living in the 1300 block of Fletcher at the time of his death. Media reports that identify O’Malley as a resident of the suburbs appear to be based on information released by the coroner’s office.
• The officer who scaled the outside of the Wellington Brown Line station to find Pitts is a 43-year-old police veteran.
• O'Malley's death was the first homicide in Lakeview since a May 10, 2012, gang-related shooting at Ashland and Addison, according the authoritative work of W.H. Thompson at Hey Jackass.