Belmont Comes AliveFour people were taken into custody in three separate incidents along Belmont overnight.
• One arrest at 11:15PM Thursday following a short foot chase of an individual from Belmont and Halsted to Belmont and Clark.
• Two arrests following an unspecified incident at Belmont and Sheffield around 2:30AM today.
• One taken into custody after officers on patrol observe a disturbance on Belmont and Kenmore at 3:15AM.That stretch of Belmont is the epicenter of crime in our neighborhoods. The 19th district leadership dedicated a unit to conduct overnight foot patrols around Belmont and Sheffield in a fairly successful effort to keep the area under control. That "foot post" went away a couple of months ago, but with the weather thawing—56° next Thursday?—this may be a good time to bring it back.
Thursday Burglary Reports
• 3400 block of Halsted. The back door of a unit was partially kicked in at 9:05AMFrom Our Inbox
• 3800 block of Greenview. Discovered at 6:19PM
• 1900 block of Belmont. Forcible entry discovered at 8:10PM
A couple of notes that came our way Thursday:
Word on the street is that Alderman Tunney wrote a letter to Police Supt. Garry McCarthy about police staffing and the letter was read to the 019th District rank and file at roll call… I think Alderman Tunney’s letter to the police supt. would make a great story for the CWB. Of course it I wrote it, it would be in the following tone: “Alderman Tunney: What took you so f*cking long?! .....and does anyone in City Hall take you seriously anymore?”Hmm. If true, the letter seems like something that the alderman would want the public to know about.
My partner went to the alderman's office this week to review the [Broadway Youth Center] logs. The office assistant was out and no one else knew where the logs were, so he was told to come back.
I went in his place [Thursday]. The biggest surprise of the visit was that I am the only person who has reviewed them, which is why the staff didn't know where they were when my partner went. I thought for sure that with all of the caustic language and bitterness people would be taking advantage of this opportunity to see the public record, not that there's anything outrageous in there.
Image: Cookeville Weather Guy